Welcome to Gloucestershire's Townpage

Badminton - Estate village and large mansion east of Chipping Sodbury belonging to the Duke of Beaufort. Park is used for Horse Trials event each April.

Berkeley - A mile inland from the Bristol Channel, between Bristol and Gloucester is Berkeley Castle, scene of one of English histories nastier moments when Edward II was put to death. The castle has belonged to the same Berkeley family for over 8 centuries. The village outside is famous for cheesemaking, and in the church is buried Edmund Jenner who invented vaccination. He died in 1823. On the shore nearby is the Berkeley nuclear power station.

Chepstow - Fine old market and fortress town on the Welsh border. Castle on ridge above the River Wye. Old town walls survive including town gate. Steep twisting medieval streets. To the north of the town is Chepstow racecourse.

Chipping Campden - Seven miles east of Evesham. A very picturesque Cotswold town, with gabled stone houses of great beauty. Greville House dates from the 14th century, the Grammar School from the 15th and the Market Hall from the 17th. The Perpendicular church is richly carved. Campden's House, built in 1613, was nearly destroyed by fire soon after, but some fine ruins remain. Traditional Cotswold games were played on Dover's Hill until 1862. A good view point.

Cinderford - Mining town surrounded by the woodlands of the Forest of Dean Woodland Park. Nearby is a visitor centre for the Forest.

Coleford - Mining village on the edge of the Forest of Dean above the Wye Valley. Has an ancient (restored) hall by virtue of which it is called the 'capital' of the Forest. Forest drive nearby with superb views over the Wye Valley at Symonds Yat Rocks.

Fairford - Attractive former coaching town on the road between Cirencester and Chipping Norton. The celebrated churchman John Keble was born here. To south is a major RAF airbase at which Concorde was first test flown. Most recently used by Americans for bombing Yugoslavia. Nearby is the enormous Cotswold Water Park at Cricklade.

Lechlade - Lechlade in the county of Gloucestershire, is the point at which the River Thames joins the River Colne and Leach. It’s a quiet country town, nine miles north of Swindon on the upper marshes of the Thames and visitors enjoy boating, fishing and the scenic views at the Riverside.

Close by is St John's Lock and the old Ha’Penny Bridge which spans the Thames as well as Kelmscott, home of craftsmaster, writer and designer, William Morris and within the town, there’s a 15th century church with its unusual figures and tower buttresses as well as medieval inns and other historical and attractive buildings, making a walk through the town a rewarding one. Monti’s famous statue of Neptune is also situated here.

Lydney - Industrial town and port on the Avon estuary. Wooden ships were built here with the timbers from the Forest of Dean to the north. The old railway which later brought down the iron and coal from the forest mines has been partially reopened and restored to steam-hauled services as the Dean Forest Railway. On the edge of the town is Lydney Park - woodland gardens with a museum relating to the excavation of a Roman temple site in the park.

Moreton-In-Marsh - Twenty miles north east of Cirencester. A Cotswold town of great antiquity on the Fosse Way. Charles I slept in the White Hart " in I644. Nearby are Batsford Arboretum and the eccentric Eastern design Sezincote House.

Newent - Small town with a selection of historic buildings on the north west fringes of the Forest of Dean. Richard Whittingdon who became Lord Mayor of London was born here. From a local viewpoint, May Hill there is a panorama covering ten counties. Nearby attraction is a Falconry Centre.

Tetbury - Ten miles south wast of Cirencester. Fine old-world town of Cotswold stone. With an Elizabethan Town Hall built on pillars. Old Courthouse contains museum of the Gloucestershire Police. Fine 18th century houses and church built in 1781. Nearby is the Forestry Commission Arboretum of Westonbirt.

Tewkesbury - Eight miles north of Gloucester. An historic town on the Avon, near its meeting with the Severn, with a fine Norman Abbey. Here was fought in 1471 the last battle of the Wars of the Roses, enabling Edward IV to become King. There are many picturesque old houses, including the old mill, the House of the Golden Key", the "Wheatsheaf" and "Olde Black Beare" inns. The Abbey church saved by the townspeople has the greatest Norman tower and many fine chapels and monuments. Town has many historic buildings including 15th century shops and a museum in half-timbered building. Nearby is Bredon Hill, of which A. E. Houseman wrote in his poem "A Shropshire Lad".

Wotton-Under-Edge - Small town surrounded by western edge of Cotswold Hills. Many historic houses and church with organ on which Handel had played. Most famous resident was schoolteacher Isaac Pitman who in the Victoria's reign invented his shorthand system. From the top of the nearby hills fine views across the Bristol Channel to the Forest of Dean. Nearby are Berkeley Castle and Westonbirt Arboretum.

Premium Online Marketing Services - More Info

Create your FREE listing NOW!

Create your FREE listing NOW!A free listing in the Townpages' directory is a great way to get your business known online. As one of the largest UK directories on the internet Townpages gives information to thousands of people across the country, on a daily basis.

Visit the Townpages Blog

Visit the Townpages blogThe Townpages blog has up to date information about local companies in your area. It also communicates agency offers and discounts along with company news and the strategic direction of Townpages Ltd.