Welcome to Cornwall's Townpage

Boscastle - A classic beauty spot on the Atlantic north coast of Cornwall where tow valleys merge to create a tiny natural harbour safely lodged behind the cliffs. This was once a busy port, where amongst other things the fishermen used to catch local seals. A short way down the coast is the wonderful headland castle of Tintagel.

Bude - Fine sands and golf links. Award winning beaches and one of Britain's main surfing centres. Local museum recalls former canal. Also 1830 castle built by Gurney, inventor of the steam carriage. Stratton Battlefield two miles distant.

Camborne - Birthplace of Richard Trevithick, the engineer who produced the first locomotive in 1804 (near Merthyr Tydfil). No longer an important mining district but still home of famous Mining School. Working engine house at East Pool.

Camelford - Small town to north of Bodmin Moor. Tennyson's Camelot. The neighbouring Slaughter Bridge was a battleground of Britons and Saxons in 823. Nearby is Delabole, one of the largest slate quarries in the country. Town contains North Cornwall Museum. Good walking centre.

Fowey - Six miles east of St. Austell. Once ranked amongst the principal seaports in England. It sent ships to the Crusades and to the blockade of Calais. The picturesque town is now the haunt of artists, who are attracted by the narrow winding streets. A favoured yachting centre. The Church is 14th century and has a priest's chamber over the porch. Estuary continues up to Lostwithiel.

Gunnislake - A village of some size west of Tavistock, set amongst precipitous hills. The seven-arched New Bridge over the Tamar is a boundary between Devon and Cornwall and was the main road into Cornwall. Nearby to the south is Morwhellham, a reconstructed port serving the once important mines of the area.

Helston - Old market town set back from Mount's Bay. It was a stannary town, responsible for regulating the local tin industry, and used to be a port until the estuary on which it lay was blocked by a sand-bar. The May celebrations are famous with the Furry Dance' still held every May 8.

Looe - Two towns, East and West on both sides of the narrow estuary, located between St Austell and Plymouth. Bridge between the two towns. Museum in the 16th century guildhall of East Looe.

Lostwithiel - Small town inland from Fowey, with local museum, and nearby Restmorel Castle (English Heritage). Civil War battle took place at Lostwithiel in 1644.

Marazion - Small attractive town opposite St Michael's Mount.

Padstow - Ten miles north of Newquay. An ancient fishing port on the estuary of the Camel, formerly known as Petrocstowe, from a monastory founded in the 6th century by the Irish Saint. The town furnished ships for the siege of Calais in 1346, and old May Day ceremonies commemorate the fact that during this siege a Hobby-horse erected on the headland terrorised tbe enemy, who mistook it for the devil; the oldest dance festival in Europe, it is claimed. Trevone Bay, about two miles west of Padstow, has an idyllic bathing cove.

Penryn - Ancient port on Carrick roads which was founded as a town in 1216. It enjoyed prosperity and growth as a result of the granite trade in the 1600s. Overtaken by the much younger Falmouth. Very sheltered position, so many sub-tropical plants grown.

Penzance - Penzance is a picturesque, coastal market town on the tip of Cornwall. Its mild climate, long beach and attractive architecture make it popular with tourists and residents alike. The town has a long history, its placing making it a well-used trading port. Surrounding the town are many ancient remains including those of early settlements dating back to the Iron Age.

Penzance is also the birthplace of Sir Humphry Davy, famous for his invention of laughing gas, but also for the invention of the miner’s safety lamp. His statue is one of a number of things to see around the town. Of particular interest is Penlee House Gallery and Museum. Surrounded by a peaceful memorial park, the graceful Victorian house is home to many collections including archaeological remains and fine works of art.

Port Isaac - An ancient and picturesque fishing village with very narrow streets. Very popular among summer visitors and a good centre for the north coast of Comwall. Good bathing at Port Gaverne. Nearby are Tintagel romantic coastal ruined castle with Arthurian links and the gigantic Delabole State Quarry.

Redruth - In the midst of a rich tin mining district where all mining has now ceased. The former name of the town was Dredruith or Druid's Town." Associations with John Wesley. Here lived the Scots inventor William Murdoch who was the first person to invent lighting by gas in 1792, starting first with his own houses. There are a range of industrial history attractions from the mining industry in the area, for example the Cornish Engine at East Pool.

Saltash - Fishing port with steeply sloping streets and historic buildings, located just below the meeting point of the Tamar and Tavy Rivers. Here two fine bridges carry rail and road traffic between Cornwall and Devon. The rail bridge is the famous Royal Albert Bridge constructed by Brunel in 1859 for the Great Western Railway. The road bridge was built in 1961.

St Agnes - Former tin mining town on Cornwall's Atlantic coast. Town has a pleasant square and two beaches including one at Trevaunce, once a busy port. There is a village museum and a variety of features left from the local mining industry, notably Wheal Coates, an exceptional engine house.

St Ives - Not far from Land’s End and Penzance and formerly called Pendennis, St Ives is a small but very pretty fishing harbour and now a resort town on the north coast of Cornwall. Traditionally, fishing has been the towns main industry. In the mid 19th century, there were 400 boats involved in pilchard fishing plus sailing ships importing coal, and exporting tin and copper from the local mines.

As a resort, St Ives offers picturesque narrow streets, local beaches and its attractions include the Tate gallery of St Ives by Porthmeor Beach, which displays work by St Ives based artists. Other attractions include the Barbara Hepworth museum, Smeaton's Pier and the West Pier and Lifeboat house and St Ives has its own annual Harbour Day celebrations. There are also numerous prehistoric remains in the vicinity.

Tintagel - A lovely rugged cove. Here is the very rocky peninsula on which are believed to be the ruins of the legendary King Arthur's Castle, a meeting place of the Knights of the Round Table. The peninsula in fact had a monastery from 500AD until the Normans (or Reginald the natural son of Henry I to be exact) built a castle whose ruins can also be seen. In the village an ancient Manor House is opened by the National Trust. Nearby is the enormous slate quarry of Delabole.

Torpoint - Small town on the west (Cornwall) side of the Hamoaze - the name given to the estuary of the Tamar and Tavy rivers - grown as a result of the ferry service from Plymouth. Views across to Devonport naval dockyard. To the north of the town is Antony House and gardens which overlook the estuary of the St Germans river. Nearby also is Mount Edgecomb Country Park, a good point for starting walks on the South West Coast Path.

Wadebridge - Afive miles east of Padstow. Attractive little town on the Camel, across which is a 14-arched bridge built in 1485 (approximately) to save the risk of ferry crossing. Now widened, it is the oldest bridge in Britain still in use for a road. The parish church is at Egloshayle, a mile away. Its Vicar raised the money for the bridge. The route of old railway line (the first in Cornwall) can be followed to Bodmin, or up to Padstow beside the Estuary.

Premium Online Marketing Services - More Info

Create your FREE listing NOW!

Create your FREE listing NOW!A free listing in the Townpages' directory is a great way to get your business known online. As one of the largest UK directories on the internet Townpages gives information to thousands of people across the country, on a daily basis.

Visit the Townpages Blog

Visit the Townpages blogThe Townpages blog has up to date information about local companies in your area. It also communicates agency offers and discounts along with company news and the strategic direction of Townpages Ltd.